Wednesday, January 4, 2012

A Love of Diversity

What a privilege it is to be a property manager! I’ll never forget my interview with HR. My nerves were getting the best of me due to my obvious lack of experience going in, I’m sure, compared to all the other prospects that would be interviewed that week. I was by far the youngest person walking into that property management building at the age of 26. Sure enough, my lack of experience shined through, more like glared, as I was absolutely bombing the interview, sinking quicker than I knew how to patch my pride and regain my composure. I was wondering why I was so stupid to even give this a try. Why take such a risk!? It was a disaster!

Right when I was about to wave the white flag and walk out, apologizing for his wasted time, he asked the question: “How do you feel about the word diversity?” In that moment, my heart woke up and started to spill over. What an absolutely perfect question! My heart did the talking, passionately explaining about my absolute love of diversity. I spoke briefly about my mission trips and travels. Somehow we got off on the topic of personal passion that creates a drive that can’t be burned out. The atmosphere completely shifted in the room. The disposition of my interviewer calmed and relaxed, as did mine. Ease and rest came over both of us, and he opened up to me. First he gave me a funny look, stating how weird it was that he had just come from a lunch meeting that was educating managers on hiring different generations, and that the Y generation is no longer driven by longevity and commitment with one company, but by passion that comes from a place much deeper inside. He looked at me and said, “… and now here you are, a walking statistic. How funny.” Then he continued with complete transparency, letting me know how I was bombing the first half of my interview, and he was wondering what I was even doing there (from the minute I walked in the door), but how, in turn, this wound up being one of his most impactful interviews that he knows will always stick with him. Wow! Does that mean I have the job!? Long story short, I got the job.

Diversity. The very word that saved me. A word lodged so deep in my heart, that just hearing it revived me to life! As I sit here now at my property, over one year later, I have the privilege and honor to serve incoming Vanderbilt Grad students from all around the world. Now I understand the question. Will you be able to serve those who are not like you? Yes! YES PLEASE!! I knew the Lord was calling me to serve these, as a “good shepherd” over a “flock” that He has given me, or as a good house mom. How did I lose track so quickly?

Before I knew or recognized it, this job became more about my training and gaining experience. I became focused on every legal aspect, and how to run a business. I was jumping into new territory I hardly knew a thing about, and here I am, fully responsible for the productivity and well-being of this business. Learning and practicing boundaries was also of upmost importance. It was all a little overwhelming to think about, so I knew God had to be strong where I was weak. I’ve known all along He didn’t put me here to drown or fail! This whole assignment He had given me had His name written all over it. So, I lost track. I got off on some rabbit trail believing I was here to learn business and make a future in Real Estate. Somewhere, I had lost my heart, passion, and drive along the way.

Today I was reminded of that word, diversity. As great as it has been to learn business, to have a great job with a great title, to be in a position that has power, and to be well provided for, just over a year later, I had already lost my heart. I felt that old restless spirit rising up in me again. Somehow, I was kindly reminded of my interview that landed me here in the first place. “You are here because of your love for the nations.” Oh yeah! This job isn’t really so complicated after all! As soon as I focus on who is put in front of me, and how I can best serve that person and their needs, as soon as I lay down all my rights, position, and power to love and serve them with my full heart, everything else just seems to fall into place. I’m learning how to love here more than ever. God’s made it so easy for me by giving me those I naturally have a heart for. Becoming a house mom of over one hundred isn’t easy, especially living on-site. Sacrifice is required, and I haven’t been handling that very well thus far, but when I make love and servant hood of this diverse group of people who live here with me my primary focus above all else, my heart comes alive again.

I’m so madly in love with diversity! I love every skin color from white to black and everything in-between. I love the blending and mixing of cultures, as they all live in harmony. I love smelling the cooking of a different nation as I go from floor to floor. I love helping my residents learn American culture, as they come into my office and ask me how to write a check, or how to run the air conditioner. I’ve been there! I’ve been in new places, asking locals for help, and delighting in the ones who find it a joy to help show me the way. It was such a good reminder for me today as to why I am really here.

Man, in my heart of hearts, I desire and long for a sense of equality to overcome every individual, for them to see the beauty in diversity as I do! I know God’s heart rejoices at the sight of His diverse creation, and He is so well pleased with it! I hate any form of prejudice, cast system, or slavery. I long to see it all abolished on every side and in every heart of every individual. I want every person to come to the revelation of true kingdom reality, that we are all equally as beautiful in His sight. M.L.K. always was my hero from the time I was young, and now I’m starting to understand why. What is a young, white, single, American female supposed to do with such a heart and passion? What am I to do with such longings for justice within me? All I know at this point is to stop for the one, or one hundred, right here where God has strategically placed me today, to walk in the opposite spirit of the prejudice that I so hate, to be faithful with what I have here and now, and trust God with the rest.

6 comments:

  1. A beautiful heart, so beautifully articulated! What a gifted woman and blessing to those around you! I love your passion. And I relate to the drive that comes from tapping into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article!
    Now once you have started I hope you can match ur blogging performance of 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How appropriate that the HR man who hired you was also a "diverse" person, therefore, a lover of diversity. What an intelligent question he asked! I am so glad. I wanted you here in Nashville rather than in some village in Africa living in the dirt with orphans which was your heart’s desire after graduating YWAM. Little did I know God would open a door to a Vanderbilt high rise, for now at least. God is good to us both.
    I love your heart. I love how you lead the way in so many ways in this family. You are our Joseph. {{{{Kellie}}}} Beautiful article BTW.
    Your Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is that picture on your banner Alcatraz?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That was a picture I took in San Fran :) I saw 7 rainbows that day.. no joke!

      Delete